I don’t know about you but currently I have about 382 books on my Goodreads to-be-read list. Over the last five years my taste in books has changed and so I keep removing books I might have read as a teenager and replaced them with books that suit my ‘pseudo-adult self’. What irks me the most about my TBR is that even as I am writing this I am likely going to add another 10 to it today and I might never finish it. So I would pose this question. WHY THE HELL DO WE BIBLIOPHILES ACCUMULATE SO MANY BOOKS?
After posing this question to the universe and to the divine unicorn book lord( she exists), i have come up with some reasons why i have 392(as at completing this post) books on my TBR:
- Because we assume we would read them immediately: we pile a lot of books
- Because authors take their sweet time to publish
- It looked good at that time but now you read the blurb again and asked your self what the hell was i thinking
- You would like to read them but you as sure as fuck would not (war and peace be bloody honest with yourself)
- You promised someone you would read it (stop lying your ass is not going to)
- You got distracted by another book ( in my defense the book boyfriend looked good)
- You said you were going to start on the Guardian 100 books( yeah…i don’t think i am that mature yet)
- School. Nuff said
There are probably many more reasons feel free to comment and add yours. I am praying this year i would be able to cross off a lot from my list or else i would just add a hundred more(we know how this works by now).